CALL FOR PAPERS - Deadline for submissions (1st call extension): 28 November 2011 - http://www.mlearning-conf.org.
Berlin, Germany, 11 to 13 March 2012
* Keynote Speaker (confirmed): Professor Agnes Kukulska Hulme, Institute of Educational Technology, The Open University, UK
* Conference background and goals: Mobile Learning where to next? Accelerometers and motion sensors will tell
Since the advent of mobile learning, developments in its practice and research have been triggered by technological innovation and advancement. For instance the arrival of laptops, afforded new models of technology integration and accessibility within the classroom and freed technology from the ‘imprisonment’ of computer rooms.
The appearance of handheld devices offered potential for the exploitation of contextual outdoor learning and freed learners and technologies from the confinement of classrooms. The emergence of mobile phones democratized access to technology, revolutionized the concept of user generated content and freed learners and technologies to experiment with technologies outside classrooms and schools.
The incursion of multi-touch tablets in the mobile learning scene is the latest technological ‘wave’. Though in early stages, sensationalist reporting of the ipads for Learning (http://www.ipadsforeducation.vic.edu.au/) initiatives already advocate ipads will displace playdough and finger painting in Kindergartens and the Horizon report 2011 states ‘electronic books are beginning to demonstrate capabilities that challenge the very definition of reading’ (http://wp.nmc.org/horizon2011/sections/electronic-books/).
Against this background the relevance and need for mobile learning research and practice founded upon learning theories, focused on pedagogically meaningful approaches to mobile learning and systematically evaluated with appropriate data collection and analysis tools, remains paramount.
The IADIS Mobile Learning 2012 International Conference seeks to provide a forum for the presentation and discussion of mobile learning research which illustrate developments in the field.
* Format of the Conference
The conference will comprise of invited talks and oral presentations. The proceedings of the conference will be published in the form of a book and CD-ROM with ISBN, and will be available also in the IADIS Digital Library (accessible on-line).
Authors of the best published papers in the Mobile Learning 2012 proceedings will be invited to publish extended versions of their papers in the "International Journal of Mobile and Blended Learning (ISSN: 1941-8647).
* Types of submissions
Full and Short Papers, Reflection Papers, Posters/Demonstrations, Tutorials, Panels and Doctoral Consortium. All submissions are subject to a blind refereeing process.
We invite researchers, practitioners, developers and all those working in the mobile learning arena to submit work under the following topics:
• Pedagogical approaches, models and theories for mLearning
• mLearning in and across formal and informal settings
• Strategies and challenges for integrating mLearning in broader educational scenarios
• User Studies in mLearning
• Learner mobility and transitions afforded by mlearning
- Socio-cultural context and implications of mLearning
- Mobile social media and user generated content
• Enabling mLearning technologies, applications and uses
• Evaluation and assessment of mLearning
• Research methods, ethics and implementation of mLearning
• Innovative mLearning approaches
• Tools, technologies and platforms for mLearning
• mlearning: where to next and how?
* Important Dates:
- Submission deadline (1st call extension): 28 November 2011
- Notification to Authors (1st call extension): 6 January 2012
- Final Camera-Ready Submission and Early Registration (1st call extension): Until 27 January 2012
- Late Registration (1st call extension): After 27 January 2012
- Conference: Berlin, Germany, 11 to 13 March 2012
* Conference Location
The conference will be held in Berlin, Germany.
IADIS Secretariat - IADIS INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE MOBILE LEARNING 2012
Rua Sao Sebastiao da Pedreira, 100, 3
1050-209 Lisbon, Portugal
Web site: http://www.mlearning-conf.org/
* Program Committee
Mobile Learning 2012 Program Chair
Inmaculada Arnedillo Sánchez, Trinity College Dublin, Ireland.
Mobile Learning 2012 Conference Chair
Pedro Isaías, Universidade Aberta (Portuguese Open University), Portugal.
Committee Members: *
* for committee list please refer to http://www.mlearning-conf.org/committees.asp
* Co-located events
Please also check the co-located events:
e-Society 2012 (http://www.esociety-conf.org/) - 10-13 March 2012
Information Systems 2012 (http://www.is-conf.org/) - 10-12 March 2012
* Registered participants in the Mobile Learning’ conference may attend e-Society and Information Systems conferences’ sessions free of charge.